"We'll never be as young as we are right now." --Jim Steinman

Thursday, September 08, 2005

PAINFUL, STRESS, SPINAL TAP?!?!?! Where'd all this come from?

I'll start off saying that I'm an idiot. I arrived at school early today, so I was trying to find Pink Piggy without finding Man-pretty. Well, as I walked I wasn't really watching anything...then there was this really tall guy infront of me (facing the other direction thank goodness). Needless to say it was Man-pretty. I almost walked into him! What are the chances, seriously?

I left school early to go to my doctor's appointment. Oh that was fun. I've been going to the same doctor ever since I can remember, but my mom wanted a second opinion. Well, for the past three years Dr. K (my regular one) has put me on numerous medications to find out what's wrong with me (medically speaking of course). Well, I think I talked to this new doctor guy for around 10 minutes when he looked up from my medical history and said, "You have the symptoms of lymes disease--sounds like you've had it for the past three years." He's not positive because I don't have ALL the symptoms, but he wanted a blood test.
He went on to say that a lot of my migraines come from stress--DUH!
Oh, and then he went back to the lymes disease thing again. Depending on how my blood works come back, I may have to have something called a Spinal Tap--which is exactly what it sounds like. They go in my lower back with a needle, through many layers of muscle, and suck some of my spinal fluid out to run tests on that. Then of course Dr. M told me that it's VERY painful--like I needed to hear that.

After the appointment is when the fun began! Ironically, I had a migraine today--not just any migraine, but one complete with sensitivity to light, sound, smell, and nausea.
I hadn't eaten in somewhere around 24 hours, and then I had to give blood. The lab technician said that I was weird because most females (especially teenage ones) don't watch as the blood is drawn.
Anyone who's seen me loopy beyond all reason (pretty much the entire mid-west) would have thought I was high or something. I had a migraine, no food in my system, just given blood, and I have low blood pressure, so my heart had to work extra to make up for the missing blood. Of course my mom wanted to walk around Wal-mart for 15 minutes dragging me along when all I wanted to do was hit the drive-through of McDonalds.
When I FINALLY had my double cheeseburger and fries in hand what do I do? I make the driver pull of over the car so I can puke on the edge of the highway. Although, a semi did honk as it drove by...but that's besides the point. The entire time all I could think about was NOT getting vomit on my brand new, custom Converse. I don't care if they only cost $2.50, they are my shoes that I specialized myself!!!

Fun day. I get to find out whether or not I have lymes disease tomorrow because the lab was about to close when I had all my blood work done.

Even after all this crap I still want to be a doctor....

2 comments:

Cassius said...

haha, more spam

mari, i think we all know what a spinal tap is *wink wink* or at least i do. my oldest sister had to get one, and so my mom. they are nasty, but i really wish you the best. maybe youll go into a 5 minute coma and then they'll do it. as dennis says

why dont you go into something more comfortable? LIKE A COMA

Lemons said...

Well, that's a comforting thought...I guess. Wanna hear something funny? I'm commenting right now--and I'm in the middle of Contemporary Literature. Hahaha, I'm supposed to be typing my paper, but I am not (obviously).
Anyhow, I only have to have a spinal tap if my lymes disease test comes back negative, and my catscan doesn't go well. So there are a few steps between now and then....